Firm: Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Location: Dallas - TX
1601 Elm Street
Dallas, TX 75201
- Tel : 214 972 1696
- Fax : N/A
- Email : email@example.com
David Wheat is a tax partner in the Houston and Dallas offices of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. David focuses his practice on corporate tax, mergers and acquisition tax, transactions involving partnerships and LLCs, and tax controversies. He provides clients with transactional planning and advice, document preparation, and preparation of tax opinions on federal and state tax implications of business transactions, including corporate mergers and acquisitions and the formation and operation of partnerships and limited liability companies.
David has been recognized by Chambers USA, and according to clients quoted in the directory, he is “an authority on partnership transactions, corporate tax and the tax aspects of M&A” and he “knows how to use the knowledge he has for the benefit of the client.” Additionally, David has been named a “Leading Lawyer” by The Legal 500 U.S., and according to clients quoted in the directory, his “knowledge of tax law affecting energy transactions is extremely broad.”
David has been involved in the following representations:
- Sentinel Midstream, a portfolio company of Cresta Fund Management, on its agreements with Freepoint Commodities in furtherance of Sentinel Midstream’s construction, operation and utilization of Texas GulfLink, a Deepwater Crude Oil Export Terminal located near Freeport, Texas
- TPG in its preferred equity investment of up to $140 million to fund capital contributions to Double E Pipeline LLC, a joint venture between Summit Midstream Partners LP and Exxon Mobil Corporation, to construct a FERC-regulated interstate natural gas pipeline in the Delaware Basin
- Magnetar Capital in its up to $250 million preferred equity investment in WaterBridge Holdings, as part of an equity capital raise involving Five Point Energy, an affiliate of GIC and WaterBridge management to fund strategic acquisitions of water infrastructure from Primexx Energy Partners, Tall City Exploration III and Jetta Permian
- QL Capital Partners, LP in its partnership with Devon Energy Corporation to fund gas gathering and compression assets in the Delaware Basin
- Brookfield Super-Core Infrastructure Partners, an infrastructure fund managed by Brookfield Asset Management Inc., in its approximately $2 billion acquisition of a 25 percent equity interest in Dominion Energy, Inc.’s Cove Point LNG LP
- Parsley Energy, Inc. in tax and structuring advice for its $2.27 billion all-stock acquisition of Jagged Peak Energy Inc.
- Riviera Resources, Inc. in its $295 million sale of oil and gas assets and gas processing facilities in the Hugoton Gas Field in Kansas
- Hilcorp Alaska in tax and structuring advice for its $5.6 billion acquisition of BP’s upstream and midstream business in Alaska
- Desert Royalty Company, LLC in its combination with Kimmeridge Energy Management Company, LLC to form Desert Peak Minerals, the largest pure-play mineral and royalty company in the Delaware Basin
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Kirkland’s tax practice has a first-class international reputation for sophisticated tax counseling on multinational tax issues and transactions, and successfully representing its clients in tax disputes worldwide.
Described as “excellent” and “extremely knowledgeable in tax structuring” (The Legal 500), Kirkland’s tax practice provides its clients with cutting-edge tax advice in domestic and cross-border transactions. Ranging from the largest public company to the full spectrum of private equity and sponsor-initiated transactions, Kirkland’s tax attorneys are involved in the broadest scope of transactional matters in the marketplace. In all matters, the goal is to achieve our client’s business objectives in the most efficient way possible.
Kirkland’s reputation is unequaled worldwide in both restructuring and private equity. Kirkland’s tax attorneys have unmatched experience in representing both debtors and creditors in restructuring situations, working closely with our market-leading restructuring practice. Our private equity tax attorneys have more experience in representing private equity funds and investment funds than virtually any other group of attorneys in the world, whether it be setting up investment vehicles or completing investments, acquisitions, and dispositions.
Kirkland’s tax team also effectively represents clients in tax disputes and provides skilled and experienced advocacy on behalf of clients at every stage of the tax controversy process, from pre-audit planning, to audit through administrative appeals and post-appeals mediation, in competent authority matters, and in tax litigation in Federal and state courts. Kirkland’s tax attorneys bring a wealth of experience in dealing with the IRS and other taxing authorities in order to resolve disputes effectively and efficiently.