Firm: BUCKINGHAM, DOOLITTLE & BURROUGHS, LLC
Location: Akon - OH
3800 Embassy Pkwy, Suite 300
Akron, OH 44333
- Tel : 330.376.5300
- Fax : 330.258.6559
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
I am an Ohio tax attorney serving as the first call my clients make when faced with a tax challenge. The more complicated the challenge, the more I can help you and your company. This includes representing the Cincinnati Reds before the Ohio Supreme Court to exempt their purchases of bobbleheads (and other promotional items) from Ohio sales/use tax.
Typically, my clients own or manage a business. I work directly with clients to save them substantial amounts of money and resolve even their most complicated tax and general business issues. My clients think of me as their trusted advisor that, while valuable, is so hard to find.
I concentrate my practice on Ohio sales, income and commercial activity taxes as well as transactions with federal tax implications. This includes comprehensive Ohio tax audits, appeals, and planning; sales of real property; and the acquisition/sale of businesses. I share my knowledge through following and creating key developments, speaking, and writing to both legal and non-legal audiences. My expertise/experience helps me achieve the best possible results as efficiently as possible for each and every client.
- Substantial representation before the Ohio Tax Commissioner, Ohio Board of Tax Appeals and the Ohio Supreme Court, as well as before the Internal Revenue Service
- Practices primarily in consultation and representation with respect to federal, multistate and Ohio tax law matters
- Engaged to structure proposed transactions in a manner to obtain optimum tax minimization
- Serves as Managing Partner of the Firm and is chairman of the Executive Committee
- Served as department head of the Taxation Section of the Business Practice Group (1995-2006, 2009-2019)
- Served as Business Practice Group Leader
- Served as vice president, secretary and treasurer of the firm’s board of managers
- Joined the firm as an associate in 1989; elected partner in 1994
- The University of Akron Law School, Akron, Ohio (J.D., cum laude, 1986)
- The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio (M.A., 1986)
- The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio (B.A., magna cum laude, 1983)
- Certified Public Accountant (1987)
Awards & Honors
- Recipient: The University of Akron School of Law Distinguished Alumni Award (2022)
- Crain’s Cleveland Business Notables in Law (2022)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2003-2023)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2004-2022), as voted by peers
- Named in Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year” for Tax Law (2017 & 2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™, which is the highest possible rating in both legal and ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar.
- Corporate Chair for JDRF Akron One Walk (2017)
- Recipient: Dr. Frank L. Simonetti Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of Akron College of Business (2015)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers Business Edition® for Tax Law (2014)
- Recipient: Distinguished Alumni Award from the Archbishop Hoban High School Alumni Association (2013)
- Named Akron Best Lawyers® ‘Tax Lawyer of the Year’ (2012)
- Listed in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition® for Tax Law (2009)
- Listed in Northern Ohio Live – Ohio’s Top Lawyers (2003)
- Listed in Inside Business Magazine as a Leading Lawyer in Northeast Ohio in Tax Law, as voted by his peers (2001)
- “Know What’s Taxable: You’re Probably Paying Too Much in Ohio Sales Tax on Purchases,” Smart Business (2023)
- Co-author “Sales and Use Tax for Remote Sellers: Ohio,” Practical Law (2019)
- Co-Author “Ohio tax changes on the horizon, sales tax t become even more significant,” Crain’s Cleveland (2017)
- “Is That Improvement/Construction Real Property?” Properties Magazine (2016)
- “Increased Focus on Ohio Use Tax: Is Your Business an Easy Target for the Ohio Department of Taxation,” Crain’s Akron Business Guest Blog (2015)
- “Ohio Tax Incentives, Savings for Small, Midsize Business: Critical Planning Opportunities,” Crain’s Cleveland Business Blog (2015)
- Quoted in “Advocates and Opponents Weigh in on HB 5,” Akron Legal News (2015)
- “How to Avoid Tax When Disposing of Real Property,” Law 360 (2014)
- “Under Audit: Increased Scrutiny of Restaurants for Ohio Sales Tax,” a la carte Magazine (2013)
BUCKINGHAM, DOOLITTLE & BURROUGHS, LLC
One of the most fundamental objectives of a successful business is to minimize expenses while maximizing profits. As business owners and CFOs, you work diligently to manage spending and maintain a stable business model. While reducing exposure to taxes can appear straightforward, there are many gray areas of taxation that may leave businesses blindly overpaying. That’s where we step in.
Our attorneys work directly with you and your accountants to help you maximize savings without compromising your business plans. We advise you on certain actions you can take to avoid paying unnecessary taxes, and at times when your business plan requires you to take on additional expenses, we help you determine the best way to incur that expense.
We have been recognized for our work in the field of taxation and are actively involved in drafting Ohio tax legislation. Our attorneys stay knowledgeable with respect to tax developments and cutting-edge tax plans. We follow them, teach them, write about them, and use that knowledge to better serve you and your business. Our top priority is to tailor our tax planning initiatives to align with your core business objectives so we can spare you preventable expenses and in turn, save you money.